The deep-voiced, gothy, Finnish, cool dude Ville Valo turns 36 today. So to celebrate we dug up one of our infamous 20 Questions interviews with the face of HIM from issue 152, don’t try and buy it, it’s sold out. LOOK!
1. As a youngster, what was your favourite film?
Star Wars – I had lots of the toys, but I think I exchanged them for drugs.
2. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever eaten?
I tried some fugu, the poisonous Japanese fish, in Tokyo. I was super drunk, and really sick.
3. If you could throw one person off TV into a pen of lions, who would it be?
Is there a famous lion tamer on TV? If so, him, because that would be interesting. Is there a Lion Whisperer?
4. If you could have a super power, what would it be?
Something that didn’t really work, like going back in time, living my life again and making exactly the same mistakes.
5. Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
Too cold. I’m a Finn!
6. What makes an awesome night out properly awesome?
A night that you can’t remember, when you wake up with a smile on your face, like “What the fuck just happened?”
7. What is the first album you ever bought?
Animalize by KISS, on vinyl, in 1984.
8. What would your funeral be like?
I’d like my left leg to be cremated and have its own separate party.
9. Who’s the biggest arsehole famous person you’ve ever met?
I’ve always been pleasantly surprised. I never thought Slash would be such a gentleman, for instance. He was the sweetest person on Earth.
10. Have you got any phobias?
I had a bit of arachnophobia, but I live in a house where spiders are helpful, so they’re my friends now. I talk to them. There are three or four that I’ve named.
11. If you weren’t doing this for a living, what would you be doing?
My dad runs a sex shop in Helsinki, so I guess I’d be the dildo expert there. Or the Spider Whisperer.
12. Do you do any social networking shit?
I’ve had problems with Facebook with people claiming to be me – occasionally people knock on my door in Helsinki, having flown over because they thought they’d been in touch with me for two years.
13. What’s the most you’ve ever needed the toilet?
I was walking down the street in Hamburg, and I shat my pants.
14. What’s the worst idea you’ve ever had?
“Let’s shoot a gay porn film in the ashes of the erupting Icelandic volcano”.
15. What’s your alcoholic drink of choice?
Miller High Life – it’s the champagne of beers. It’s a white-trash weak American lager. It makes me feel like I have chest hair.
16. What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever said to a girl you liked?
I’m awkward in social situations. Girls are weird creatures. Even the most pointless sentence can be amazing. Like “I adore the socks you’re wearing” – that’s a great line, but, like, what if she doesn’t have toes?
17. What’s the most illegal thing you (or “a friend of yours”) have ever done?
I’ve broken into a few premises, but all kids do that.
18. What have you seen that you really wish you could un-see?
A porn movie with a 75-year-old grandma in an S&M outfit shitting into the mouth of a guy who’s jerking off. He cums while chewing on the shit.
19. Why should people get your remix album SWRMXS? [it was new at the time of writing, kids]
White Zombie did remix albums – they had drum’n’bass before America knew what it was. A lot of electronic music is way scarier than rock music, because you don’t know what do expect.
20. What’s the punch line to your favourite ever joke?