We recently put the set of twenty questions we put to everyone to All Time Low’s Alex Gaskarth, who’s either the Britishest American in the world or the Americanest British dude ever. This was in FRONT 175, which you can buy here. All Time Low are touring over here in February – the dates are after the interview.
1. As a kid, what was your favourite film?
The Mask, with Jim Carrey. He’s so good in that film. It’s child-orientated but it has some swearwords in it too, so I felt rad watching it.
2. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever eaten?
There’s this fruit out in Malaysia called a durian, which tastes like a combination of trash and gasoline. You taste it for the rest of the day after you try it.
3. What’s your favourite rude word?
I really love the word shit. It’s not the worst, but I have a lot of fun saying it.
4. If you could have any superpower, what would you go for?
The power to see through people’s clothes or turn my pee into diamonds.
5. What’s the first album you ever bought?
The Black Album by Metallica. Their older stuff will always have a warm place in my heart. I have to look past certain douche moves and shitty records they’ve put out recently, but I still like ‘em.
6. What will your funeral be like?
I’m hoping it would be something along the lines of them loading my dead body into a cannon and firing it over everyone. It would show me who my true friends are – the ones willing to be covered in my body parts will be the ones who really cared.
7. Who’s the biggest arsehole famous person you’ve ever met?
We were blown off by Piers Morgan back stage on a late night show a while back. I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but that bummed us out.
8. Have you got any phobias?
I have a fear of dentists and needles. I just don’t like the idea of being willingly stabbed by anything. Then again I have tattoos so I don’t know what that’s about.
9. If you weren’t doing this for a living what would you be doing?
Maybe in therapy. I was always super interested in psychology. I think people are a lot more complex than we give them credit for.
10. What social networking shit do you like?
I tend to stick to just Twitter. I don’t have a Facebook profile but there are people who pretend to be me on there. It’s creepy, especially because they do a really good job of pretending to be me. They need to get out more.
11. What’s the most you’ve ever needed the toilet?
I spent the whole second half of one show terrified I was going to shit myself. The moment I walked offstage I had explosive diarrhoaea.
12. What’s the worst idea you’ve ever had?
Volunteering to put my penis on show when we were filming our DVD. I feel like at some point that will come back to haunt me. The uncensored footage will be released when our DVD producer gets pissed off at us for something.
13. What’s your booze of choice?
I don’t discriminate when it comes to booze but if I had to choose a favourite I’d have to say red wine. I’m a bit of a wino. It’s a different kind of silly, happy drunk. You drink gin and you want to fight someone. I’ve been appreciating a lot of Australian wines at the moment.
14. What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever said to a lady you fancied?
15. What’s the most illegal thing you’ve ever done?
I started a fire in a Dumpster when I was a kid going through my destructive adolescent phase. I think I was just a dick.
16. What have you seen that you really wish you could un-see?
lemonparty.org is up there. Three elderly, elderly men sucking each other off. It’s confusing and troubles me – how are they even sustaining erections at that age?
17. Tell us an AMAZING thing we didn’t know about you.
There aren’t many things I’ve kept a secret. I think people would be surprised to know that I used to take fencing lessons and learnt that. It was awesome. You got to stab the shit out of people on a regular basis with swords. I’ve always secretly wanted to be Peter Pan.
18. Why should people buy your album Don’t Panic? [NOTE: This interview was published before the album came out.]
It’s a testament to how far this band has come. It compiles the best aspects of each of the last albums. If there is a time that anyone would fall in love with this band it would be now. A big theme of this record is taking a chance and a leap of faith, having the ability to dig yourself out of a shitty situation. It deals with anger and frustration, but it has that feeling of hope.
19. Where’s the shittest place you’ve ever been?
Butte, Montana and Akron, Ohio. they’re just shitty little cities. If I had to compare them to anywhere in the UK it’d be like going to Romford.
20. Do you have a secret skill?
I can open a beer bottle with anything. A water bottle, a shoe. Or a dog. I used an alarm clock once.
ALL TIME LOW FEBRUARY TOUR DATES
06: BIRMINGHAM, o2 ACADEMY
07: MANCHESTER, ACADEMY
09: GLASGOW, o2 ACADEMY
10: NEWCASTLE, o2 ACADEMY
11: NOTTINGHAM, ROCK CITY
12: BRISTOL, o2 ACADEMY
15: LONDON, o2 SHEPHERDS BUSH EMPIRE